APPLE VEGAN CAKE // LOCAL SEASONAL PRODUCE
OCAKE👍🍰😉 one of our delicious plant-based creations by cooking a traditional recipe: pear cardamom cake plus adding something new: baking it vegan. Grandma Sita’s sustainable cuisine, always tasty cooked from scratch with love 💚
1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unrefined cane sugar
1 cup chunks of apple
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup raisins
¼ cup apple compote or any berry jam
1 cup oat drink (any non-dairy milk)
6 tablespoons veggie oil (any neutral flavored)
Our note: sunflower oil is a perfect choice for cakes.
Our note: following the cups method for measurement units, we discovered that the volume of the cup is always the key, you don´t have to weigh the ingredients. A cup has the same volume of ingredients (liquid or dry) as a glass or a mug.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 º C. Oil and line the base and sides of a bread pan or square cake tin with baking parchment.
Our note: well, standard dimensions for bread and loaf pans start at 8 ½ by 4 ½ inches. It´s the perfect size for that amount of ingredients. If you multiply the amount by the number of times that you want, you will get a bigger cake. You have tons of different sizes of baking pan depends on the final amount.
2. Wash and peel the apples. Cut into chunks (the size is up to you).
3. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl: sifted flour, unrefined cane sugar, baking powder, chunks of apple, raisins, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cardamom and a pinch of salt. Mix it well with a wooden spoon.
Our note: we always sift the flour for muffins and cakes. Sifting helps to combine the flour with any dry ingredients.
4. Combine wet ingredients in a bowl: oat milk, compote/jam and veggie oil until well mixed.
5. Pour the wet mix into the dry bowl. Mix everything slowly with a wooden spoon.
6. Pour the mix into the bread pan, arrange the pear slices around the cake decoratively (optional) and sprinkle sugar on the top.
7. Bake for it around 40 minutes, until browned.
Our note: Don´t open the oven, you can always leave the cake in the oven for a few more minutes.
8. Remove the bread pan from oven. Leave it to cool for a while. Carefully, peel off the paper and cool a bit on a wire rack.
9. Serve a piece of cake, bon appetite!
- DID YOU KNOW…
The word apple, formerly spelled æppel in Old English, is derived from the Proto-Germanic root *ap(a)laz, which could also mean fruit in general. This is ultimately derived from Proto-Indo-European *ab(e)l-, but the precise original meaning and the relationship between both words is uncertain. As late as the 17th century, the word also functioned as a generic term for all fruit other than berries but including nuts, such as the 14th century Middle English word appel of paradis, meaning a banana. This use is analogous to the French language use of pomme. | wikipedia.org