29 Apr Beetroot cold soup / VEGAN (SAVOURY – SOUPS)
Recipe + design by Sita & Nena.
BEETROOT SOUP WITH LEMON AND MINT LEAVES
- INGREDIENTS *vegan recipe
4 carrots (small size)
2 potatoes (small size)
2 spring onions (green part)
1 onion (medium size)
1 beetroot (medium size)
1/2 courgette /zucchini (medium size)
2 slices of pumpkin (optional)
A pinch of tumeric, to taste
A pinch of ground cumin, to taste
A pinch of hot chilli powder, to taste
Smoked salt, to taste
SAUTÉ + BOIL
Olive oil (to sauté)
Water (to boil)
A generous splash (about 50g) of lemon
A generous splash (about 50g) of extra virgin olive oil
Some fresh mint leaves, chopped
A handful of toasted white sesame seeds
A spoonful of sour cream or vegan sour cream (optional)
Our note: Greek yogurt or non-dairy yogurt instead of sour cream up to your taste.
- RECIPE STEP BY STEP
YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY…
- The beetroot (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is the taproot portion of the beet plant, usually known in North America as the beet. It is one of several of the cultivated varieties of Beta vulgaris grown for their edible taproots and their leaves (called beet greens). These varieties have been classified as B. vulgaris subsp. vulgaris Conditiva Group. Other than as a food, beets have use as a food colouring and as a medicinal plant. Many beet products are made from other Beta vulgaris varieties, particularly sugar beet. From the Middle Ages, beetroot was used as a treatment for a variety of conditions, especially illnesses relating to digestion and the blood. Bartolomeo Platina recommended taking beetroot with garlic to nullify the effects of “garlic-breath”.
- ARTICLE: “15 Health benefits of beets, according to science” by Jen Miller, Jen Reviews.
- World Tapas Day + 4 recipes / vegan friendly (celebration – tapas)
- Mediterranean cold soup / vegan (savoury – soups)
- World Fruits and Veggies Day (celebration – healthy habits)
- Onion soup / vegan friendly (savoury – soups)
RELATED COOKING BLOG
A menu of creative and healthy recipes has been prepared for each month of the year. Are you ready? Cosericantar blog makes it a piece of cake with lots of homemade recipes (vegan option included) and special menus (Halloween and Easter). Mix and match recipes as you wish for your everyday meals!
Tags: homecooking, recipe ideas, kids, vegan friendly, foodies, savoury recipes, sweet recipes, menus, tapas, soups, cakes, desserts, drinks.