CHILI WITH MEAT // Tony & Nolan
GRANDPA: Tony & GRANDCHILD: Nolan.
LOCATION: Cornwall – Canada.
- INGREDIENTS: Plant-based recipe💚
Tony’s note: We cooked 2 different chilis, the traditional one and the vegan one. For the vegan one you just have to replace the beef meat for vegan meat, the rest of the ingredients will be the same.
6 pounds / 3kg of ground beef
1 or 2 cans of chickpeas – 796 ml each can
2 cans of dark red kidney beans – 796 ml each can
2 cans of whole peeled tomatoes – 796 ml each can
1 or 2 cans of tomato paste – 369 ml each can
3 big green peppers or 3 – 4 normal size green peppers
2 really big Spanish onions or 4 normal size Spanish onions
450g to 1kg of mushrooms
6 or 10 garlic cloves
2 or 4 jalapeño peppers
A bunch of stalks of celery
675g of molasses
Tony’s note: At the beginning, I used to cook it without the molasses but one day I went to a friend´s house and he had cooked chili with molasses. I found it delicious and I decided to add it to my recipe too.
Ground cumin, to taste
Granulated garlic, to taste
Chili powder or Cayenne pepper, to taste
Dill weed, to taste
Salt, to taste
Tony’s note: The most important ingredient in this recipe is the cumin, some people use more some people use less but it is the key ingredient.
1. Put the meat in the saucepan and cook it at really low temperature for a little while.
2. Cut all the vegetables in small – medium pieces.
3. Once the meat is half cooked add the peeled tomatoes, the vegetables and the spices and mix everything. Let everything cook for about 10 minutes.
Tony’s note: The amount of spices is really up to the chef.
4. Add the tomato paste and the molasses.
5. Mix it again and let everything cook at low temperature for 2 or 3 hours.
Tony’s note: When I cook this recipe I like to make a big amount of Chili, like that all the family can eat it. We usually freeze the leftovers for another time.
!! Join us on our mission to keep alive culinary heritage !!
👉🏼 Call to action: SUMIT YOUR FAMILY RECIPE 🙌