10 Jun COFFEE WALNUT VEGAN CAKE / RECIPE
Recipe + design by Sita & Nena.
COFFEE WALNUT VEGAN CAKE
Our note: This is our classic coffee walnut vegan cake. Main ingredient is a good espresso using a stovetop espresso. Start every day with a great cup of coffee and a piece of our cake!
- INGREDIENTS *vegan recipe
Our note: following the cups method for measurement units, we discovered that the volume of the cup is always the key, you don´t have to weigh the ingredients. A cup has the same volume of ingredients (liquid or dry) as a glass or a mug.
1 and ½ cups wheat flour (plain or all-purpose)
1 and 1/4 cups unrefined cane sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
¾ cup coffee espresso
¼ cup oat drink (any non-dairy milk)
¼ cup peach jam
2 tsp vanilla extract
6 tablespoons veggie oil (any neutral flavored)
Our note: sunflower oil is a perfect choice for cakes.
- RECIPE STEP BY STEP
1. Preheat the oven to 180 º C. Oil and line the base and sides of a bread pan or square cake tin with baking parchment.
Our note: well, standard dimensions for bread and loaf pans start at 8 ½ by 4 ½ inches. It´s the perfect size for that amount of ingredients. If you multiply the amount by the number of times that you want, you will get a bigger cake. You have tons of different sizes of baking pan depends on the final amount.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl: unrefined cane sugar, sifted flour, chopped walnuts, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix them well with a wooden spoon.
Our note: we always sift the flour for cakes. Our note: we always sift the flour for muffins and cakes. Sifting helps to combine the flour with any dry ingredients.
3. Make coffee using a stovetop espresso.
Our note: It´s kind of homemade coffee espresso.
4. Combine wet ingredients in a bowl: coffee, oat drink, peach jam, veggie oil and vanilla extract until well mixed.
5. Pour the wet mix into the dry bowl. Mix everything slowly with a wooden spoon.
6. Pour the mix into the bread pan. Sprinkle brown sugar on the top.
7. Bake it around 40 minutes, until browned.
Our note: Don´t open the oven, you can always leave the cake in the oven for a few more minutes.
8. Remove the bread pan from oven. Leave it to cool for a while. Carefully, peel off the paper and cool a bit on a wire rack.
9. Serve as is or with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream or vegan custard.
Our note: Ice coffee and a piece of our cake match perfectly in summertime. Well, any time of the year is great for our delicious vegan cake!
YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY…
Coffee (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is a brewed drink prepared from roasted coffee beans, which are the seeds of berries from the Coffea plant. The genus Coffea is native to tropical Africa, and Madagascar, the Comoros, Mauritius and Réunion in the Indian Ocean. The plant was exported from Africa to countries around the world and coffee plants are now cultivated in over 70 countries, primarily in the equatorial regions of the Americas, Southeast Asia, India, and Africa. The earliest credible evidence of either coffee drinking or knowledge of the coffee tree appears in the middle of the 15th century, in the Sufi Muslim monasteries around Mocha in Yemen. It was here in Arabia that coffee seeds were first roasted and brewed, in a similar way to how it is now prepared.
- ARTICLE: “Whole Beans vs Ground Coffee: Which is Best for Brewing”. Words by Kathy Gallo from AG Ferrari Food Blog.
Cosericantar cooking blog makes everyday meals a piece of cake with lots of homemade vegan friendly recipes and menus. Yummy ideas for little foodies 🙂