COLCANNON // Cathy & Anabelle
GRANDMA: Cathy & GRANDCHILD: Anabelle.
LOCATION: Galway – Ireland.
- INGREDIENTS: Plant-based recipe 💚
4 large potatoes
4 cups green cabbage, chopped
1/2 cup scallions (green onions), chopped
Cathy’s note: I think the secret with colcannon is the quality of home-grown potatoes, cabbage straight from the garden and finely chopped scallions.
1/3 cup milk (or cream) / *water from boiled cabbage or rice milk
60g butter /*unsalted vegan butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
A bunch of fresh parsley and/or chives, chopped (optional)
Cathy’s note: Serves 4. You can alter the amount of ingredients depending on how many people are coming to lunch.
1. Peel and cut the potatoes in half. Put the halves into a pot. Cover with salted water, bring to the boil and simmer the potatoes for approx. 15 minutes.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, wash and thinly slice the leaves of green cabbage. Put the slices into a pot. Cover with salted water, bring to the boil and simmer the potatoes for approx. 5-10 minutes or until the cabbage has turned a darker green. Remove the pot from the heat and strain the slices of cabbage.
Cathy’s note: Test it and don’t let it overcook, if anything it should be slightly undercooked.
3. When the potatoes are done, drain the water and put the steaming hot potatoes into a big bowl. Add a generous dash of milk and a spoon of butter. Mash everything with a potato masher or fork until obtain the desired mashed potato texture.
4. Melt the butter in a big saucepan. Sauté and stir the chopped scallions for couple of minutes. Add the slices of cabbage and stir well for several minutes.
5. Mix the cabbage thoroughly through the mashed potato. Add warm milk gradually until you obtain a creamy texture.
Cathy’s note: My grandkids love mashed potatoes and cabbage separately, so I serve it that way… Then they mix everything on their plates.
6. Before serving, add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and/or chives.
!! Join us on our mission to keep alive culinary heritage !!
👉🏼 Call to action: SUBMIT YOUR FAMILY RECIPE 🙌