Gazpachos Manchegos // Paco & Iris
GRANDPA: Paco & GRANDCHILD: Iris.
LOCATION: Caudete – Spain.
- INGREDIENTS: Plant-based recipe💚
Paco’s note: ¨Widower gazpachos manchegos¨ is the name for a vegetarian / vegan option, that’s meant use a lots of veggies (spinach, potatoes, peppers, etc) instead of different kind of meat.
400 g of rabbit
400 g of chicken
Snails, to taste (optional)
Paco’s note: Also cook it with ¼ of pigeon.
Mushrooms, to taste (optional)
2 ripe tomatoes
4 garlic cloves
HERBS AND SPICES
A couple of bay leaves
Spices from the area: rosemary, thyme, clove
2 big gazpacho tortas, to eat 4 people
Paco’s note: Use popular mexican tortillas instead of gapazho tortas. It’s easy to find mexican tortillas almost everywhere. In this case, cut one whole mexican tortilla in small pieces per person.
1. Cut all the different kind of meat in medium pieces, add salt to the meat pieces. 2. Fry them in a big pan, paella pan style, with olive oil. Add garlic, snails and bay leaves. Mix it well for a while until brown the meat.
3. Pour water into the pan and cover the meat, two fingers above. Boil half an hour until the meat is cooked. Switch off the heat and let there for a while. Take out the pieces of meat and keep the meat stock in a big bowl.
4. Grate the tomatoes. Chop the onion. Wash and chop the mushrooms. Fry everything in a big pan. Add salt, paprika and species from the area.
5. Cut one torta with your hands into small pieces.
6. Add the small pieces into the pan.
7. Mix and fry them well with the veggies for a while.
Paco’s note: Keep one whole torta to serve with the gazpacho at the end. You can buy the torta already into small pieces in La Mancha markets.
8. Add the meat stock and boil it around 10 minutes, stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
Paco’s note: It should be moist and not soggy. That’s the idea.
9. A couple of minutes before evaporate the stock, add the pieces of meat and mix well once. Then the gazpachos are ready to serve.
10. Serve the gazpachos on a torta in the middle of the table or serve them in plates with a piece of torta per person.
Paco’s note: Traditionally the gazpachos have served with a torta in the middle of the table. No cutlery, people used cut the pieces of torta and eat the gazpachos with the hand.
!! Join us on our mission to keep alive culinary heritage !!
👉🏼 Call to action: SUMIT YOUR FAMILY RECIPE 🙌