COLD VEGETABLE SOUP // CHRYSTALLA & CHRISTOS
GRANDMA: Chrystalla & GRANDSON: Christos.
LOCATION: Nicosia – Cyprus.
Christos’ note: Chrystalla is my mother’s mother. We were cooking in the kitchen I was raised, since a baby.
- INGREDIENTS: Plant-based recipe💚
A bunch of stalks of celery, to taste
10 ripe tomatoes
3 green peppers
A splash of extra virgin olive oil
A splash of cold water
A splash of vinegar (optional)
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Paprika, to taste
Cumin, to taste
Turmeric, to taste
Christos’ note: Our recipe of cold vegetable soup is basically a gazpacho. Gazpacho is all Greek. Even the word gazpacho derives from the ancient Greek κασπαχιο, from “κάσια” [box] and “πάχνη” (morning dew that you can find on tree leaves in the mornings, which is refreshing). It’s basically a container of morning, vegetable freshness. So poetic these ancient Greeks.
1. Wash the vegetables well. Cut the head of celery, chop the stalks. Peel and chop tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, onions and green peppers. Put the chopped veggies into bowls.
Christos’ note: Put the tomatoes in a bowl with cold water, that way it is easy to remove the skin.
2. Toss the chopped vegetables one by one into the bowl of a food processor and pulse 30 seconds, or until it forms a fine pulp texture.
3. Pour them one by one in a big bowl, add a generous splash of extra virgin olive oil and a splash of vinegar.
4. Mix it with the spoon and at the same time gradually add water, if you need it. Add salt and black pepper. Spice with cumin, paprika and turmeric, to taste.
5. Fill carefully bottles with the soup and keep them fresh into the fridge.
Christos’ note: We made Mediterranean cold soup for the entire family 🙂
!! Join us on our mission to keep alive culinary heritage !!
👉🏼 Call to action: SUMIT YOUR FAMILY RECIPE 🙌