12 Jan ONION SOUP / VEGAN FRIENDLY (SAVOURY – SOUPS)
Recipe + food stylist + design by Sita & Nena
Our note: We love Onion soup at home. We always have onions in our kitchen. So yummy cheese on top… Be patient and don´t burn your tongue!
- INGREDIENTS *vegan option
1kg big white onions
A generous splash (about 50ml) of olive oil
Our note: At home we cook everything with olive oil, but traditionally onion soup is with butter
1 litre of chicken broth /*vegetable broth
A pinch of white pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste
Several thick slices bread or baguette
Extra virgin Olive oil, for drizzling
130 gr Gruyere cheese, grated /*vegan cheese
Our note: Use any other cheese easy to melt if you can´t find Gruyere or vegan cheese.
- RECIPE STEP BY STEP
Our cooking tip: Unfortunately, it seems impossible to chop an onion without crying. No worry, here is grandma’s proven method to prevent tears…
6. Meanwhile, drizzle slices of bread with olive oil and toast in the oven until golden. Set aside.
7. To serve, turn on the oven broiler. Ladle the soup into ovenproof bowls. Place 1 or 2 pieces of the croutons on top of each serving of soup, depending on the size of the bowl.
9. Serve immediately. Wait a bit and enjoy your meal!
YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY…
Onion soups (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) have been popular at least as far back as Roman times. Throughout history, they were seen as food for poor people, as onions were plentiful and easy to grow. The modern version of this soup originates in France in the 18th century, made from beef broth, and caramelized onions. Although ancient in origin, the dish underwent a resurgence of popularity in the 1960s in the United States due to a greater interest in French cuisine. Often served gratinéed with croutons and cheese on top or a large piece of bread.
- Mediterranean cold soup / vegan (savoury – soups)
- Pisto manchego (Spanish ratatouille) with quinoa / vegan (savoury – tapas)
- Beetroot soup with lemon and mint leaves / vegan (savoury – soups)
RELATED COOKING BLOG
A menu of creative and healthy recipes has been prepared for each month of the year. Are you ready? Cosericantar blog makes it a piece of cake with lots of homemade recipes (vegan option included) and special menus (Halloween and Easter). Mix and match recipes as you wish for your everyday meals!
Tags: homecooking, recipe ideas, kids, vegan friendly, foodies, savoury recipes, sweet recipes, menus, tapas, soups, cakes, desserts, drinks.