02 Dec ONION SOUP (+VEGAN VERSION) / RECIPE + COOKING TIP
Recipe + design by Sita & Nena.
- INGREDIENTS *vegan version
1kg big white onions
A generous splash (about 50ml) of olive oil
Our note: At home we cook everything with olive oil, but traditionally onion soup recipe is cooked with butter.
1 litre of chicken broth /*vegetable broth
A pinch of white pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste
Several thick slices bread or baguette
Extra virgin Olive oil, for drizzling
130 gr Gruyere cheese, grated /*vegan cheese
Our note: Use any other cheese easy to melt if you can´t find Gruyere or vegan cheese.
- RECIPE STEP BY STEP
2. Slice the onions in half from root to tip, then slice them thin.
GRANDMA SITA’S COOKING TIP
How to cut an onion without crying: unfortunately, it seems impossible to prevent tears. We discover that there is at least one way, here is our proven method… Wear swimming goggles, say bye to tears!
Design by Sita & Nena.
6. Meanwhile, drizzle slices of bread with olive oil and toast in the oven until golden. Set aside.
7. To serve, turn on the oven broiler. Ladle the soup into ovenproof bowls. Place 1 or 2 pieces of the croutons on top of each serving of soup, depending on the size of the bowl.
9. Serve immediately. Wait a bit and enjoy your meal!
YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY…
Onion soups (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) have been popular at least as far back as Roman times. Throughout history, they were seen as food for poor people, as onions were plentiful and easy to grow. The modern version of this soup originates in France in the 18th century, made from beef broth, and caramelized onions. Although ancient in origin, the dish underwent a resurgence of popularity in the 1960s in the United States due to a greater interest in French cuisine. Often served gratinéed with croutons and cheese on top or a large piece of bread.
Cosericantar cooking blog makes everyday meals a piece of cake with lots of homemade vegan friendly recipes and menus. Yummy ideas for little foodies 🙂