18 May PISTO MANCHEGO “SPANISH RATATOUILLE” WITH QUINOA (VEGAN) / RECIPE
Recipe + design by Sita & Nena.
PISTO MANCHEGO “SPANISH RATATOUILLE” WITH QUINOA
Our note: Here is our tasty creation by cooking a traditional recipe pisto Manchego (it is often described as Spain’s version of ratatouille) and adding something new: quinoa. Inspiration comes from our travel around Cuenca province in Castilla La Mancha, Spain.
- INGREDIENTS *vegan recipe
Our note: following the cups method for measurement units, we discovered that the volume of the cup is always the key, you don´t have to weigh the ingredients. A cup has the same volume of ingredients (liquid or dry) as a glass or a mug.
I. PISTO MANCHEGO
2 medium size courgettes / zucchinis (approx. 300g)
2 green peppers (approx. 150g)
2 red peppers (approx. 150g)
2 big onions (approx. 300g)
A can of chopped tomatoes in tomato juice (aprox. 500g) or natural ripe tomatoes (approx. 1 kg)
A pinch of sugar
Extra virgin olive oil or olive oil, to taste (approx.100ml)
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Our note: The basic ingredients are always tomatoes and peppers. We usually add onions, courgettes and/or aubergines.
1 cup of quinoa
Water, to boil
- RECIPE STEP BY STEP
1. Wash the vegetables well. Chop the courgettes, onions and green/red peppers into cubes.
2. Heat olive oil in a big saucepan. Sauté and stir the chopped onion for several minutes. Add the chopped peppers. Cook over a low heat.
3. Add the courgettes and stir, until the vegetables are soft
4. Add a can of chopped tomatoes in tomato juice and a pinch of sugar.
5. Stir it occasionally over a low heat for a few minutes. Add salt and black pepper, to taste.
6. Remove from heat and let it cool.
7. Wash well the quinoa under the tap.
8. Boil a pot of salted water. Wait until the water begin to boil and add the quinoa.
9. Leave it to simmer until the quinoa is well done. The quinoa will take about 10-15 minutes or so in being tender. Try it before removing it.
10. Stir it well and let cool it.
III. PISTO WITH QUINOA
11. Pour the pisto and quinoa into a big bowl. Mix everything slowly with a wooden spoon.
12. It is usually served warm with bread as a tapa or to accompany a dish or as a dish accompanied with a fried egg / fried tofu.
Our notes: Yeah, it´s a perfect recipe for a picnic day!
YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY…
- Pisto Manchego (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is the name of a Spanish dish typical from the Region of Murcia and La Mancha. The dish is sometimes formally named pisto Manchego. It is made originally of tomatoes, green and red peppers, onions, eggplant or courgettes and olive oil. It is similar to ratatouille. Usually has just tomatoes and green peppers, sometimes lightly scrambled with eggs.
- Quinoa (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) originated in the Andean region of Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Colombia and Chile, and was domesticated 3,000 to 4,000 years ago for human consumption in the Lake Titicaca basin, though archaeological evidence shows a non-domesticated association with pastoral herding some 5,200 to 7,000 years ago.
- RECIPE: “Nutrient Dense Spicy Quinoa Recipe”. Recipe by Jen Miller from Jen Reviews.
- ARTICLE: “35 Quick and Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Busy People (Most Take Less Than 5 Minutes to Prepare)”. Words by Helen Sanders from Health Ambition.
Cosericantar cooking blog makes everyday meals a piece of cake with lots of homemade vegan friendly recipes and menus. Yummy ideas for little foodies 🙂