02 Jun MANCHEGO PISTO “SPANISH RATATOUILLE” WITH QUINOA (VEGAN) / RECIPE
Recipe + design by Sita & Nena.
MANCHEGO PISTO “SPANISH RATATOUILLE” WITH QUINOA
Our note: Here is our delicious creation by cooking a traditional recipe Manchego pisto (“Spanish ratatouille”) with seasonal veggies plus adding something new: quinoa. Grandma Sita and Nena intergenerational cuisine, possibly one of the best gastro fusion, always tasty made at home with love. Simply irresistible!
- INGREDIENTS *vegan recipe
Our note: following the cups method for measurement units, we discovered that the volume of the cup is always the key, you don’t have to weigh the ingredients. A cup has the same volume of ingredients (liquid or dry) as a glass or a mug.
2 medium size courgettes / zucchinis (approx. 300g)
2 green peppers (approx. 150g)
2 red peppers (approx. 150g)
2 big onions (approx. 300g)
A can of chopped tomatoes in tomato juice (aprox. 500g) or natural ripe tomatoes (approx. 1 kg)
A pinch of sugar
Extra virgin olive oil or olive oil, to taste (approx.100ml)
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Our note: The basic ingredients are always tomatoes and peppers. We usually add onions, courgettes and/or aubergines.
1 cup of quinoa
Water, to boil
- RECIPE STEP BY STEP
1. Wash the vegetables well. Chop the courgettes, onions and green/red peppers into cubes.
2. Heat olive oil in a big saucepan. Sauté and stir the chopped onion for several minutes. Add the chopped peppers. Cook over a low heat.
3. Add the courgettes and stir, until the vegetables are soft
4. Add a can of chopped tomatoes in tomato juice and a pinch of sugar.
5. Stir it occasionally over a low heat for a few minutes. Add salt and black pepper, to taste.
6. Remove from heat and let it cool.
7. Wash well the quinoa under the tap.
8. Boil a pot of salted water. Wait until the water begin to boil and add the quinoa.
9. Leave it to simmer until the quinoa is well done. The quinoa will take about 10-15 minutes or so in being tender. Try it before removing it.
10. Stir it well and let cool it.
III. PISTO WITH QUINOA
11. Pour the pisto and quinoa into a big bowl. Mix everything slowly with a wooden spoon.
12. It is usually served warm with bread as a tapa or to accompany a dish or as a dish accompanied with a fried egg / fried tofu.
Our notes: Yeah, it´s a perfect recipe for a picnic day!
YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY…
- Pisto (also known as Manchego pisto) is a Spanish dish originally from the Region of Murcia, Castilla La Mancha and Extremadura. It is made of tomatoes, onions, eggplant or courgettes, green and red peppers and olive oil. It resembles ratatouille to some extent and is usually served warm as a starter or to accompany another dish. It is often served with bread, a fried egg on top or with pieces of cured ham. | wikipedia.org
- Quinoa (from Quechua kinwa or kinuwa) is an annual seed-producing flowering plant (Chenopodium quinoa) grown as a grain crop. It is a pseudocereal, not a grass, unlike wheat and rice. It is botanically related to spinach. Quinoa seeds are rich in protein, dietary fiber, B vitamins, and dietary minerals in amounts greater than in many grains. It is gluten-free. Quinoa originated in the Andean region of northwestern South America. It was first used to feed livestock 5.2-7 thousand years ago, and for human consumption 3-4 thousand years ago in the Lake Titicaca basin of Peru and Bolivia.| wikipedia.org
- RECIPE: “Nutrient Dense Spicy Quinoa Recipe”. Recipe by Jen Miller from Jen Reviews.
- ARTICLE: “35 Quick and Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Busy People (Most Take Less Than 5 Minutes to Prepare)”. Words by Helen Sanders from Health Ambition.
Cosericantar cooking blog makes everyday meals a piece of cake with lots of homemade vegan friendly recipes and menus. Yummy ideas for little foodies 🙂