FAMILY RECIPE: MENESTRA (VEGGIE STEW) by Dolores & Itoitz.
Who taught you how to cook? Carmen, my mother.
What is your favourite homemade food? Navarra style Callos. (Callos is a stew common across Spain. It contains beef tripe and chickpeas, blood sausage and bell peppers. Due to the wide regional diversity of the dish, there are slightly different recipes).
LOCATION (Google maps): Tudela, Navarra – Spain
- INGREDIENTS *vegan option
Note by Itoitz: We always use fresh vegetables from our garden but we can enjoy this healthy and tasty dish whenever we want to using frozen vegetables.
2 Eggs /*tofu
Note by Itoitz: We can do it completely vegan adding some nuts instead of the ham cubes and tofu instead of eggs.
1 tablespoon of wheat flour (plain or all-purpose)
- RECIPE STEP BY STEP
1. Cook all the vegetables (Asparagus, Artichokes, Green beans and Green peas) separately.
2. Keep the boiled water for the end.
3. Cook two eggs.
4. Add one tablespoon of flour to a pan already warm with olive oil.
5. Saute the ham cubes in the pan during aprox. 3 minutes.
6. Pour olive oil in a big anti-adherent pot.
7. Add the boiled artichokes (cut in two pieces), the green peas , the green beans and some olive oil from the pan into the pot and some ham cubes too.
8. Add asparagus (not their head that we put at the end).
9. Add the rest of the ham cubes, asparagus’ heads and the boiled water we kept at the beginning.
10. Finish cutting the boiled eggs to decorate our vegetable salad.
Note by Itoitz: We can decorate menestra in many ways, traditionally at home we make this figure with the asparagus. You can always be creative!
YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY…
The name menestra (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) comes from the Italian minestrone which means soup. The generic name of this dish is ¨menestra de verduras¨. It is a typical Spanish stew made with various vegetables, usually seasonal vegetables from the garden. It is famous in the North of Spain, specifically in Navarra.