*FAMILY RECIPE: DEEP FRIED STUFFED SQUID by María & Katrina.
Who taught you how to cook? My mother.
What is your favourite homemade food? Lots.
*LOCATION (Google maps): Santoña, Cantabria – Spain
- INGREDIENTS *vegan option
6 small squid /*piquillo peppers
3 eggs /*smoked tofu
Wheat flour (plain or all-purpose)
Vegetable oil, to fried
Note by Grandma María: you can do it completely vegan, the main ingredient will be piquillo peppers (it is a variety of chili, having a sweet taste with no heat) instead of small squids and the filling will be smoked tofu instead of boiled eggs. (Very important, it is necessary to batter stuffed peppers with flour before frying). Actually, it’s just an idea to create another delicious recipe.
- RECIPE STEP BY STEP
1. Wash and clean well the squid, separate heads from the bodies and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, boil the eggs. Once the eggs are done, set aside. Chop the onions, set aside.
Note by Grandma María: You can chop the onion in cubes or slices, whatever works well for you.
3. Put the onions into a pan with oil. Once the onions are transparent, add the head of squid and stir well everything.
4. Meanwhile peel the boiled eggs and chop them. Add the chopped eggs into the pan. Season the mixture with salt and black pepper.
5. Keep the mixture for a while, stir well and set aside.
6. Stuff each body with the mixture (squid, onion and egg).
Note by Grandma María: Use a teaspoon to stuff the squid with the mixture, it helps a lot.
7. Before frying, stick a small wood stick to avoid filling out.
8. Dip in batter the stuffed squid.
9. Heat the olive oil in a pot. Deep fry them, until golden brown for each side.
10. Remove from pan and drain with kitchen towels.
11. Serve the stuffed squid warm. It make a tasty homemade tapa.
Note by Grandma María: We usually serve stuffed squid with a side salad.
YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY…
Squid (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) are cephalopods of the order Teuthida, which comprises around 304 species. Like all other cephalopods, squid have a distinct head, bilateral symmetry, a mantle, and arms. Squid, like cuttlefish, have eight arms arranged in pairs and two, usually longer, tentacles. Squid are strong swimmers and certain species can “fly” for short distances out of the water.
In English-speaking countries, squid as food is often marketed using the Italian word calamari. Squid are found abundantly in certain areas, and provide large catches for fisheries. The body can be stuffed whole, cut into flat pieces, or sliced into rings. The arms, tentacles, and ink are also edible; in fact, the only parts not eaten are the beak and gladius (pen).
- Galician style octopus + video / vegan friendly (savoury – tapas)
- Original cuptapas + 4 recipes / vegan friendly (savoury – tapas)
- Mediterranean cold soup / vegan (savoury – tapas)
RELATED COOKING BLOG