*FAMILY RECIPE: SPANISH OMELETTE (TORTILLA DE PATATAS) by María & Borja.
Who taught you how to cook? Balbina, my mother.
What is your favourite homemade food? Grilled meat (churrasco).
*LOCATION (Google maps): Vigo, Galicia – Spain
- INGREDIENTS * Vegan recipe: eggless Spanish omelette by Cosericantar blog, creative homemade food.
4 large potatoes or 6 small potatoes
A quarter of white onion (medium size)
Salt, to taste
Vegetable oil, for frying
Note by Borja: At home we use sunflower oil.
Note by Borja: Spanish omelette with chorizo and red pepper is our classic. We love it!
1 red bell pepper (optional)
Half of Spanish chorizo sweet or spicy, to taste (optional)
Note by Borja: We use homemade Galician chorizo, usually sweet. Any chorizo sweet or spicy from Spain is a great choice. For veggie or vegan recipe, Calabizo (Galician 100% veggie chorizo) is really tasty. It´s made with pumpkin. For more information calabizo.com
- RECIPE STEP BY STEP
1. Peel and chop potatoes and onion. Mix potatoes and onion in a bowl, season to taste.
2. Wash red pepper well and cut it into cubes. Cut chorizo into cubes or slices.
3. Heat a generous amount of veggie oil in a big saucepan, wait to fry until the oil is hot.
Note by Borja: Put some chopped onion into the saucepan to know when the oil is ready to fry.
4. Pour the mixture of chopped potatoes and onion into the hot saucepan. Fry the mixture for a wile, then add chopped red pepper and chorizo.
Note by Borja: Before frying, we usually divide the amount of potatoes, onions, peppers and chorizo in two. Always depending on the size of your frying saucepan.
5. Fry all ingredients together until the potatoes are soft.
6. Beat eggs into a big bowl.
7. Remove with a skimmer the mixture of fried potatoes, onion, red pepper and chorizo from the saucepan and put into beated eggs bowl. Mix everything together.
8. Heat a little bit of olive oil in a saucepan, wait until is hot.
Note by Borja: The key to turning the tortilla successfully is a nonstick pan.
9. Pour the mixture into the hot saucepan, wait for few minutes and go around with the lid of the saucepan. Turn again if necessary, until the tortilla is done well.
Note by Borja: Turn as many times as you need, until the tortilla is done well.
10. Serve the Spanish omelette warm. A slice of rustic bread and a piece of tortilla de patatas make a tasty homemade tapa.
Note by Borja: We usually cook a side salad with veggies from our garden, to accompany the Spanish omelette.
YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY…
Spanish omelette is the English name for a typical Spanish dish called tortilla de patatas (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), consisting of an omelette made with eggs and potato, fried in oil.
In Spanish, this dish is called “tortilla de patatas” to distinguish it from a plain omelette (tortilla francesa, literally “French omelette”). Tortilla in origin meant just “small torte/cake”. These dishes are unrelated to the maize or wheat tortilla of Mexico and neighbouring countries, a thin flatbread.
During the Spanish Civil War, the omelette without eggs (it was done with a mixture of flour and water in place of egg), it became popular because it was lean season. The false omelette, made with orange peels instead of potatoes was also implemented during the Civil War in Spain.