21 Oct PUMPKIN WALNUTS VEGAN CAKE / RECIPE
Recipe + design by Sita & Nena
PUMPKIN WALNUT VEGAN CAKE
Our note: Walnuts and pumpkin from our garden are ideal to bake this delicious cake! We love tasty Autumn!
- INGREDIENTS *vegan recipe
Our note: following the cups method for measurement units, we discovered that the volume of the cup is always the key, you don´t have to weigh the ingredients. A cup has the same volume of ingredients (liquid or dry) as a glass or a mug.
1 and 1/2 cups wheat flour (plain or all-purpose)
3/4 cup panela sugar or unrefined cane sugar
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup grated pumpkin or winter squash
1/4 cup peach jam
1/2 cup unsweetened almond drink (any non-diary milk)
6 tablespoons of veggie oil (any neutral flavored)
Our note: sunflower oil is a perfect choice for cakes.
- RECIPE STEP BY STEP
2. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl: brown sugar, sifted flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, chopped walnuts and salt until well mixed.
3. Combine wet ingredients in a bowl: grated winter squash, applesauce, vegan margarine or veggie oil and soy milk until well mixed.
4. Pour the wet mix into the dry bowl. Mix everything slowly with a wooden spoon.
5. Pour the mix into the baking pan. Sprinkle brown sugar on the top.
6. Bake for it around 40 minutes or until browned.
Our note: Don´t open the oven, you can always leave the cake in the oven for a few more minutes.
7. Remove the bread pan from oven. Leave to cool for awhile. Carefully, peel off the paper and cool a bit on a wire rack.
YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY…
- A walnut /Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia/ is the nut of any tree of the genus Juglans (Family Juglandaceae). Technically a walnut is the seed of a drupe or drupaceous nut and thus not a true botanical nut. It is used for food after being processed, while green for pickled walnuts or after full ripening for its nutmeat. The walnut is nutrient-dense with protein and essential fatty acids.
- Pumpkins /Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia/, like other squash, are thought to have originated in North America. The oldest evidence, pumpkin-related seeds dating between 7000 and 5500 BC, was found in Mexico. Since some squash share the same botanical classifications as pumpkins, the names are frequently used interchangeably.
- PUMPKIN CHORIZO: Calabizo, Galician 100% veggie chorizo, is made with pumpkin. It is a healthy product, made in keeping with the traditional methods and really tasty. Vegggie or vegan option. More information about: calabizo.com
A menu of creative and healthy recipes has been prepared for each month of the year. Are you ready? Cosericantar cooking blog makes it a piece of cake with lots of homemade recipes (vegan friendly) and special menus (Halloween and Easter). Mix and match recipes as you wish for your everyday meals!