20 Apr CARROT VEGAN CAKE
Recipe + design by Sita & Nena.
VEGAN CARROT CAKE
Our note: Our carrot cake is so moist it doesn’t need frosting! Serve a cup of tea and enjoy a piece of cake… Bon appetit indeed!
- INGREDIENTS *vegan recipe
Our note: following the cups method for measurement units, we discovered that the volume of the cup is always the key, you don´t have to weigh the ingredients. A cup has the same volume of ingredients (liquid or dry) as a glass or a mug.
1 and 1/2 cups wheat flour (plain or all-purpose)
3/4 cup panela sugar or unrefined cane sugar
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
A pich of salt
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/3 cup sultana raisins
1/4 cup peach jam
1/2 cup oat drink (any non-dairy milk)
2 tsp vanilla extract
6 tablespoons veggie oil (any neutral flavored)
1 tablespoons Bourbon or rum (optional)
- RECIPE STEP BY STEP
1. Preheat the oven to 180 º C. Oil and line the base and sides of a bread pan or square cake tin with baking parchment.
Our note: well, standard dimensions for bread and loaf pans start at 8 ½ by 4 ½ inches. It´s the perfect size for that amount of ingredients. If you multiply the amount by the number of times that you want, you will get a bigger cake. You have tons of different sizes of baking pan depends on the final amount.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl: flour, baking powder, baking soda, unrefined panela cane sugar, cacao nibs and salt until well mixed. Add grated carrots and chopped walnuts. Mix it well with a wooden spoon.
Our note: we always sift the flour for muffins and cakes. Sifting helps to combine the flour with any dry ingredients.
3. Combine wet ingredients in a bowl: peach jam, vanilla extract, veggie oil, raisins and oat drink until well mixed.
Our note: To plump raisins for baking, place them in a bowl and pour over boiling water.Let sit for 5-10 minutes, drain, and use. If you want to add additional flavor, soak them in hot water mixed with a spirit drink, to taste. Usually Bourbon or rum.
4. Pour the wet mix into the dry bowl. Mix everything slowly with a wooden spoon.
5. Pour the mix into the bread pan. Bake it around 40 minutes or until browned.
Our note: Don´t open the oven, you can always leave the cake in the oven for a few more minutes.
6. Remove the bread pan from oven. Leave to cool for awhile. Carefully, peel off the paper and cool a bit on a wire rack.
7. Serve a piece of cake with a cup of tea… Bon appetit!
YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY…
The origins of carrot cake (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) are disputed. Recipes for carrot cake occur as early as 1827. The oldest known recipe of carrot cake dates from 1892, in a book of the housekeeping school of Kaiseraugst (Canton of Aargau, Switzerland). According to the Culinary Heritage of Switzerland, it is one of the most popular cakes in Switzerland, especially for the birthdays of children.
The popularity of carrot cake was probably revived in Great Britain because of rationing during the Second World War.
A menu of creative and healthy recipes has been prepared for each month of the year. Are you ready? Cosericantar blog makes it a piece of cake with lots of homemade recipes (vegan option included) and special menus (Halloween and Easter). Mix and match recipes as you wish for your everyday meals!