07 May red wine Cherry vegan cake (SWEET RECIPES – CAKES)
PHOTOS by Sita & Nena
RED WINE CHERRY VEGAN CAKE
*Our notes: Our yummy sweet creation by cooking a traditional family recipe ¨chocolate & red wine cake¨ and adding fresh cherries, seasonal ingredients. Enjoy the flavours of summertime!
1 and ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 cup panela sugar or unrefined cane sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips or cacao nibs (optional)
½ cup ripe cherries
¾ cup red wine
6 tablespoons veggie oil (any neutral flavored)
*Our notes: sunflower oil is a perfect choice for cakes.
¼ cup cherry jam
*Our notes: following the cups method, we discovered that the volume of the cup is always the key, you don´t have to weigh the ingredients.
Well, one cup has the same volume as a glass or a mug, anyway you just need to take always the same unit to make the right measures.
- RECIPE STEP BY STEP
2. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl: flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ground cinnamon and salt until well mixed. Mix it well with a wooden spoon.
5. Combine wet ingredients in a bowl: red wine, cherry jam and veggie oil until well mixed.
6. Pour the wet mix into the dry bowl. Mix everything slowly with a wooden spoon.
7. Pour the mix into the baking pan. Add randomly the slices of cherries with sugar on the top.
*Our notes: Don´t open the oven, you can always leave the cake in the oven for a few more minutes.
9. Remove the bread pan from oven. Leave it to cool for a while. Carefully, peel off the paper and cool a bit on a wire rack. Serve as is or with a scoop of vegan ice cream, vanilla flavor or vegan source cream or vegan custard. Cheers & Bon appetite!
YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY…
The origins of wine (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) predate written records, and modern archaeology is still uncertain about the details of the first cultivation of wild grapevines. It has been hypothesized that early humans climbed trees to pick berries, liked their sugary flavor, and then begun collecting them. After a few days with fermentation setting in, juice at the bottom of any container would begin producing low-alcohol wine. According to this theory, things changed around 10.000-8000 BC with the transition from a nomadic to a sedentism style of living, which led to agriculture and wine domestication.
Archaeological evidence has established the earliest-known production of wine from fermenting grapes during the late Neolithic site of Hajji Firuz in the northern Zagros Mountains or early Chalcolithic in the northern edge of the Middle East.
- Banana vanilla vegan cake (sweet recipes – cakes)
- Peach pear cake (sweet recipes – cakes)
- Frushi: rice pudding and fruit sushi (sweet recipes – desserts)
RELATED COOKING BLOG
Kids can be very picky when it comes to food, specially when its something that is good for them. Cosericantar blog makes it a piece of cake when getting your little ones involved in cooking. Easy, funky, yummy and healthy recipes (vegan option included) plus menus.