🍞🥔 EGGLESS TORTILLA DE PATATAS FROM LEFTOVER BREAD // Sita & Nena
EGGLESS TORTILLA DE PATATAS, one of our delicious plant-based creations💚 by cooking a traditional recipe: tortilla de patatas (Spanish omelet) plus adding something new: cook it eggless with leftover bread. Grandma Sita and grandchild Nena intergenerational cuisine, possibly one of the best gastro-fusion, always tasty cooked from the scratch with love. Simply irresistible!
- INGREDIENTS: Plant-based recipe💚
2 large potatoes or 4 small potatoes
A quarter of an onion, to taste
A bunch of leftover bread (also called day-old, stale bread)
Olive oil (or any vegetable oil)
Salt, to taste
Our note: This is a recipe for a small size Spanish omelet.
1. Peel and chop the potatoes and the onion.
2. Mix chopped potatoes and onion into a bowl. Add salt, to taste.
3. Fry the potatoes and onion until soft. Remove with a skimmer and put into a strainer.
4. Put pieces of stale bread in water to soak.
5. Drain the bread, put it into the blender container, add some water and mix with a blender till obtain liquid texture similar to eggs beaten.
6. Add the liquid mixture of bread and water to the fried potatoes and onion. Mix everything together.
7. Put the mixture in a small hot pan with a splash of olive oil, wait a bit until it curdles and turn it over with a plate.
8.Slide the other side of the tortilla into the pan and wait a bit until it curdle. Turn again if it is necessary. Then the tortilla is ready to eat.
Our note: You can turn it as many times as you like, until the tortilla is well cooked.
9. Serve a piece of Spanish omelet or make a Spanish omelet sandwich. Both are delicious ways to eat Spanish omelet.
- DID YOU KNOW…
- During the Spanish Civil War omelette without eggs it became popular because it was lean season. It was done with a mixture of flour and water in place of eggs, but now it is part of the vegan Spanish cuisine. The false omelette, made with orange peels instead of potatoes was also implemented during the Civil War in Spain. | wikipedia.org