plant-based KAFFE BUENO CAKE // UPCYCLED FOODS
🌱♻️☕️ Grandma Sita loves baking plant-based cakes with Kaffibre by Kaffe Bueno. Grandma Sita’s plant-based Kaffe Bueno cake is quick and easy to make, and it even helps you to clean out any leftover chocolate. Win-win!
🤎 Kaffibre is an upcycled fibre derived from spent coffee grounds. Kaffibre’s flavour profile comprises nutty and chocolate notes. Although it comes from coffee, its coffee taste is mostly gone along with the oil extracted priorly. So it’s perfect for our yummy plant-based cake. What’s more, Kaffibre is caffeine-free, low in fat, rich in proteins, insoluble dietary fibres, and potassium.
👩🍳 Baking with coffee? Not really. To make Kaffibre, Kaffe Bueno extracts the lipid fraction (fat) out of coffee grounds, then sterilise and mills them to match standard flour particle size. Read more about it here 👉 http://www.sita-nena.com/kaffe-bueno/
📢 For every tonne of coffee “waste” decomposed in a landfill, 340m3 of methane is released into the environment.
🌎 Spent coffee grounds are a valuable resource that has been wrongly treated as waste for centuries. Kaffe Bueno extends coffee’s life while improving your and nature’s health. Bueno for You, Good for All!
🌱 Grandma Sita empowers plant-based home cooking and baking, by bringing learning to your kitchen. Grandma Sita’s sustainable cuisine is always tasty and cooked from scratch with lots of love. 💚
1/2 cup Kaffibre
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unrefined cane sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup fair-trade chocolate chips (any leftover chocolate)
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
1 cup oatmeal drink (any veggie drink)
15 gr strawberry jam (any berry jam)
6 tablespoons veggie oil (any neutral-flavoured)
Our note: following the cup method for measurement units, we discovered that the volume of the cup is always the key, you don´t have to weigh the ingredients. A cup has the same volume of ingredients (liquid or dry) as a glass or a mug.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 º C. Oil and line the base and sides of a bread pan or square cake tin with baking parchment.
Our note: well, standard dimensions for bread and loaf pans start at 8 ½ by 4 ½ inches. It´s the perfect size for that amount of ingredients. If you multiply the amount by the number of times that you want, you will get a bigger cake. You have tons of different sizes of baking pans depending on the final amount.
2. Combine DRY ingredients in a bowl: Kaffe Bueno flour, all-purpose flour, unrefined cane sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well mixed. Mix it well with a wooden spoon.
Our note: we always sift the flour for muffins and cakes. Sifting helps to combine the flour with any dry ingredients.
3. Combine WET ingredients in a bowl: oatmeal drink, strawberry jam, and veggie oil until well mixed.
4. Pour the wet mix into the dry bowl. Mix everything slowly with a wooden spoon.
5. Pour the mix into the baking pan.
6. Sprinkle sugar on the top. Bake for it around 35-40 minutes, until browned.
Our note: Don´t open the oven, you can always leave the cake in the oven for a few more minutes.
7. Remove the bread pan from the oven. Leave it to cool for a while. Carefully, peel off the paper and cool a bit on a wire rack.
8. Serve as is or with a scoop of vegan ice cream, vegan source cream, or vegan custard, to taste.
- DID YOU KNOW…
🛒 Upcycled food is an easy way for anyone to prevent food waste via the products they buy. Upcycled products prevent food waste by creating new, high-quality products out of surplus food.